Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Richard.Hall, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores
At 17:49 +0100 2003/06/26, Richard.Hall wrote:
[...]
>What can I do? I can either give in (not keen), or
>
>a) quote RFC2821 section 4.1.2 at them till I'm blue in the face
>b) swear blind that nothing has changed (except that I now reject them
>    later than I used to) - but why do they claim it has changed recently
>    - or was it different on Exim 3, which one of my other MX's was
>    running?
>c) tell them that lots of other people would reject their mail - is that
>    true?

well, my four domains (20 users, wow!) would reject that HELO...

>d) tell them how to reconfigure Exchange to behave properly - except that
>    I don't know how - so does anyone else know how to do it?

are you sure Exchange was not going past the HELO phase? After all I
think exim will allow the session to continue even after a rejected
HELO.

I think rfc-ignorant.org should have the HELO argument check (A
record of helo -> IP address which implies the absence of _) in their
listing criteria. Why not push for that, I would support you (for
what it's worth).

(btw, I do not give the postmaster address in the RCPT error
messages, but the URL of a feedback form, this way a faulty server's
postmaster can contact me anyway)

Giuliano