Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Richard.Hall, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores
> >d) tell them how to reconfigure Exchange to behave properly - except that
> >    I don't know how - so does anyone else know how to do it?

> are you sure Exchange was not going past the HELO phase? After all I
> think exim will allow the session to continue even after a rejected
> HELO.

Yes, and I've seen it.
>>> 220 somemailserver ESMTP

<<< EHLO blah_blah.whatever.com
>>> 501 syntatically invalid arguments

<<< HELO blah_blah.whatever.com
>>> 501 syntatically invalid arguments

<<< QUIT
>>> 221 Connection closed by QUIT

Then I saw the fax. "Error was 221 Connection closed by QUIT".
I said "Say what?! 2xx isn't an error!"

> I think rfc-ignorant.org should have the HELO argument check (A
> record of helo -> IP address which implies the absence of _) in their
> listing criteria. Why not push for that, I would support you (for
> what it's worth).

I can see lots of exchange servers in there.

> (btw, I do not give the postmaster address in the RCPT error
> messages, but the URL of a feedback form, this way a faulty server's
> postmaster can contact me anyway)

It's generally not a good idea to put an email address in an error responce.
I have seen spammers snarf that address.