Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Walt Reed
CC: Richard.Hall, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exchange, HELO and underscores
> Well, this is kind of a tough issue when you look into it deeper. The
> older versions of the SMTP standards also state that a server must not
> reject email based on HELO data. The issue is how long do you give them
> to be compliant with newer standards?

See my last email. Basically, it's not the message that's being blocked,
it's the sending server that sees the 5xx error code and won't proceed
further.

I tried this for myself to make sure my server wasn't refusing MAIL FROM:
when HELO was refused. As expected, it wasn't. The sending mailserver just
"QUIT".

> I think the proposal by one of the other people on the list here is the
> right one.. Give them a reasonable deadline to fix it after which you
> will no longer accept mail.

On a side note, would exim allow an underscore in the primary_hostname =
line in the config? I haven't tried this and I don't really plan on it.