Re: [Exim] Multiple pipe questions.

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Mike Diehl
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple pipe questions.
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Mike Diehl wrote:

> Well, I've gotten tired of having to duplicate my mail sorting and filtering
> rules on each client I read (imap) mail from so I'm trying to do it at the
> server.
>
> I'd like to have each message get run through 1 or more (unix) filters such as
> SpamAssassin, TMDA, gpg, etc. Which filter(s) get run would be
> user-configurable. Then I'd like to be able to re-examine the message after
> the filter(s) have been applied to it and make delivery decisions from there.
>
> For example, I want to have SA, TMDA and gpg run on my messages, but my wife
> only wants SA. We both agree that an SA rating of 15 is spam and should be
> dropped.
>
> So, the questions are:
> Can I send a message through multiple directors/routers before sending it to a
> transport?
>
> Can I send a message throught (multiple) unix filters before delivery?
>
> Can I examine any headers that these filters may have added?

You may wish to consider ACLs for this stuff.
In particular exiscan-acl might be very helpful.
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.exim.exiscan.user/354
and the rest of that thread discusses a possible hack to allow
different virus-check settings for different users.

You could use a wrapper script which runs different filtering
apps depending on the recipient (perhasp by passing the user
on the command line).

This was very experimental at the time it was discussed (mid March
this year).

One other point to watch with this hack - if you don't listen for
SMTP, but download and inject from POP/IMAP/batch SMTP/...
the injecting application is unlikely to retry (on a later occasion)
address that give temporary errors.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna