Re: [exim] Is Exim easier to customize than Postfix?

Author: Klaus Ethgen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is Exim easier to customize than Postfix?
Hi,

Some years ago I did some research to renew the mail backend platform in
University of Zürich exactly about that purpose.

Before they was running a highly customized and source code modified
sendmail setup.

Sendmail felt out as it could only handle the setup with changing
source. The past showed, that this is not sustainable as after some time
the setup cannot get updated anymore.

Postfix was also in the evaluation as it is a good solution for simple
tasks. Unfortunately, it is growing very complex and even intransparent.
I was even not sure if I can implement all concepts with it.

Only Exim was able to do all stuff with still maintaining a readable and
comprehend setup. However, I had to add some logic with the embedded
Perl. Frankly I liked that part. :-)

So, you have to evaluate that yourself. There are some alternatives out
there. From my experiences, I would say, Exim is the most customizable
solution. But if you want to have a quick setup that you can tell others
to use if they have limited knowledge, I might recommend Postfix.

Regards
Klaus

Ps. What I really dislike with Postfix, but this is my own personal
    view, is stuff in master.cf that makes it complicate to simplify the
    config and the fact that queue IDs are not unique.
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@???>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C