Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Peter Bowyer
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
[ On Friday, June 17, 2005 at 06:20:08 (+0100), Peter Bowyer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusingbounces...
>
> Greg A. Woods <woods@???> wrote:
> > An extremely large number of domains fronted by Exim are now refusing
> > bounce messages
>
> That's like saying 'A large number of Apache web servers are hosting illegal
> content', and blaming the Apache foundation for not preventing it.

No that's B.S. -- a flawed analogy.

What I'm talking about is a protocol issue, not a content filtering
issue or anything about what the software is being used for or what
traffic content flows through it. To top it off this a critical
protocol issue regarding the central key issue of error handling.

If the software implementing the protocol cannot do so with minium
correctness despite the best efforts of the admin to confound it,
i.e. if that software cannot at least make it _VERY_ difficult for its
admin to break key core aspects of the protocol, such as _ERROR_
_HANDLING_, then that software is buggy and perhaps even broken by
design. It's certainly not minimally interoperable w.r.t. to this key
issue of error handling in the widest possible range of its available
configurations.

There's giving a guy some rope -- and then there's rope that's fashioned
into a hangman's noose, and strung up over a high branch, forced over
the user's head, and a swat given to the hind end of the horse he's
sitting on. This issue is like the latter, not the former.

--
                        Greg A. Woods
                        Planix, Inc.

<woods@???>     +1 416 489-5852 x122     http://www.planix.com/