Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Matthew Newton
Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 02:07:19AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Greg A. Woods <woods@???> wrote:
> > > An extremely large number of domains fronted by Exim are now refusing
> > > bounce messages
>
> If the software implementing the protocol cannot do so with minium
> correctness despite the best efforts of the admin to confound it,
> i.e. if that software cannot at least make it _VERY_ difficult for its
> admin to break key core aspects of the protocol, such as _ERROR_
> _HANDLING_, then that software is buggy and perhaps even broken by
> design.

There is nothing wrong with exim. It is perfectly permissible to block
bounce messages in some circumstances, such as when that particular
account never sends mail, or if the server is outgoing only (so the
bounces should return by a different server). I added blocks for two
accounts here the other day that were receiving bogus bounces, purely
because they never send any mail.

Just because some clueless admins can't read the RFCs, that does not
mean that the software is broken. Wherever next; alter "rm" so that you
can't delete your kernel?

The most important thing is that the default configuration Exim comes
with does not do silly things. This is already the case.

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton <mcn4@???>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom