Re: [Exim] OT - Why you should not put Exchange on the Inter…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT - Why you should not put Exchange on the Internet.
I agree that Exchange servers have their problems (as does Novell's
Groupwise), however, in convincing someone else of this is not easy as it
is seen as a *NIX vs. MS/Novell issue. You also have to contend with the
whole 'but other people do it and they work just fine' argument. Also, MS
uses Exchange servers as their mail gateways for the microsoft.com domain,
but interestingly enough, Novell uses GWGuardian (which if I remember
correctly, this sits infront of the Groupwise server and runs as an
appliance on MS Nt4 or Windows 2000+) for the gateway servers. So overall,
it would be easier to convince someone not to put Groupwise directly on the
internet over Exchange as even Novell does not do this :)
I personally think that the important issue here is not what the mail
server is running (exchange/groupwise/exim/postfix) but that the server sit
behind a properly configured firewall that only allows conections to needed
ports (i.e. tcp 25 in general)

--EAL--
--