Re: [Exim] OT - Why you should not put Exchange on the Inter…

Author: Konrad Michels
To: Rossz Vamos-Wentworth
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT - Why you should not put Exchange on the Internet.
We've actually been struggling with the same issues in our company: a
CEO hellbent on getting Exchange into the organisation, even though he's
the only person in the company who doesn't use a computer!

Fortunately the Finance Director knows a bad deal when he sees one, and
once I'd shown them the cost associated with running a legitimate
Exchange machine (including the extra firewalling, VPN'ing etc), he
fortunately decided it wasn't a cost effective solution. We have e-mail
already, so Exchange wouldn't bring us anything new there. The only
stuff we would get is the groupware/calendaring/scheduling capabilities,
which we've managed to live without so far.

The just two days ago, my CTO ran into quite a neat site:
www.intranets.com (I have no affiliation with this lot at all).
Basically a bunch that provide Intranet services, with the added bonus
that you get a modded Intellisync which Sync's your Outlook Calendar
events with the online Calendar, and allows you to share your calendar:
in other words, a helluva lot like Exchange! Can't remember the exact
costs involved, but it was truckloads cheaper than doing our own
Exchange implimentation!

So if its groupware facilities you're after, have a look at this bunch.
Their interface doesn't work 100% with Firebird, but I can live with
that. I also can't sync Evolution with it, but hey, I can also live
with that, if it means I don't have to bring Exchange into my network!

Later
Konrad

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 01:52, Rossz Vamos-Wentworth wrote:
> Kevin Reed wrote:
>
> > I know that this is not a good idea, but not being an Exchange admin, I
> > don't have a good list of reasonable reasons why this is a bad idea.
>
> Others have already covered the reasons to not expose Exchange to the
> big bad world, so I won't repeat that.
>
> I'm trying to think of good reasons to run Exchange at all. I can only
> think of a single reason to use Exchange -- the meeting
> planner/calendar, which is a rather nice office tool. I wish someone
> would come out with a Thunderbird plugin and associated server side
> software that provided this functionality.
>
> --
> Rossz
>
> --

* Konrad Michels
* IT Manager
* Surfkitchen Limited
* +441189298079

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is
addressed and other authorised to receive it. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
use, copying, dissemination or disclosure of this information is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it immediately and contact the sender by e-mail or telephone.
Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. SurfKitchen accepts no
responsibility either for breaches of confidence that may arise through
the use of this medium or for changes to any e-mail which occur after
the e-mail has been sent.