Re: [exim] exim.org - searching docs/spec

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim.org - searching docs/spec
On tisdagen den 2 oktober 2007, Patrick Okui wrote:
> On 3 Oct, 2007, at 12:30 AM, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> > Would it perhaps be even better to have only the current
> > documentation on
> > docs.exim.org? It strikes me now that instead of having to read the
> > right
> > version of the specification, it might have been better (mostly) if
> > the
> > specification specified in what version each feature first appeared.
>
> It becomes a bit messy when talking about something that was removed
> or changed somewhat significantly; an outdated example[*] would be a
> discussion of exiscan (when it existed as a patch to exim) in the
> same document as the data acl.

Well, within the same major version, features should never be removed or
altered in a non-backwards-compatible way. Between two major versions,
however, almost everything can change, making it a very bad idea trying to
make unified documentation spanning more than one major release. So Exim 3
and Exim 4 would never be covered in the same document; neither will Exim 4
and Exim 5.

But even within the same major version it can be hard to cover all minor
versions without losing readability. In that case you have to compromise and
drop the outdated information after some time. Old versions of the
documentation would still be kept in the archive.

> IMHO as it is, the docs are a bit easier for someone totally new to
> exim to follow based on whatever (supported) version of exim they
> find themselves starting with.

That's probably true.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???