Re: [exim] exim.org - searching docs/spec

Author: Patrick Okui
To: Magnus Holmgren
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim.org - searching docs/spec

On 3 Oct, 2007, at 12:30 AM, Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> On tisdagen den 18 september 2007, Marcin Krol wrote:
>> I'm not sure this the right place for this proposal, but here it
>> goes:
>>
>> Searching specifically docs only on exim.org is rather
>> inconvenient. The
>> same site hosts this mailing list, which often is not what the
>> user might
>> want to search for when googling.
>
> I've _preliminarily_ (URIs are subject to change!) put the
> documentation on
> http://docs.exim.org/ as well, i.e.

Thanks for that.

> Would it perhaps be even better to have only the current
> documentation on
> docs.exim.org? It strikes me now that instead of having to read the
> right
> version of the specification, it might have been better (mostly) if
> the
> specification specified in what version each feature first appeared.

It becomes a bit messy when talking about something that was removed
or changed somewhat significantly; an outdated example[*] would be a
discussion of exiscan (when it existed as a patch to exim) in the
same document as the data acl.

IMHO as it is, the docs are a bit easier for someone totally new to
exim to follow based on whatever (supported) version of exim they
find themselves starting with.

Patrick

--
[*] an even more groovy document would be one with directors and
routers and ... :D - yes I know Exim 3.x hasn't been supported for ever.