Re: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to …

Author: Kevin O'Rourke
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to expect?
Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
>
>> When I initially set up our mail server I followed the instructions at
>> http://www.qmailrocks.org/ and ended up with a system that does
>> everything we want plus quite a lot of things we don't need (virtual
>> domains for one).
>>
>> I'll be leaving the organisation in the near future and I want to make
>> sure that the server is as easy to manage as possible. Qmail is a
>> nightmare because it can't be updated automatically, you need to
>> download Qmail itself then apply all the patches needed to make it useful.
>>
> I did this a while back migrating qmail/vmailmgr/courier-IMAP to
> exim. I wrote a compatibility shim in perl to provide username,
> password, alias, autoresponder and quota lookups out of the various
> qmail files and vmailmgr's passwd.cdb files since we didn't want
> to rewrite the management system as well. Then it was a simple
> matter of almost a standard exim configure file.
>
> I can help you out with the functions, routers and transports if
> there's some overlap between what you're doing and what I did.

Thanks for the offer but I did the migration yesterday and it has all
gone well.

In the end I just wrote some scripts to create user accounts from the
vpasswd file and to migrate Maildirs and change their permissions. I
don't care too much about the vpopmail management system because now
we're just using system users and there are plenty of tools to manage those.

exim is authenticating using Courier's authdaemon, which is then using PAM.

Now I just want to find some way of rejecting incoming email if users
are over their soft quota...

Thanks to everyone who contributed,
Kevin