Re: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to …

Author: Ian FREISLICH
To: Kevin O'Rourke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to expect?
Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
> When I initially set up our mail server I followed the instructions at
> http://www.qmailrocks.org/ and ended up with a system that does
> everything we want plus quite a lot of things we don't need (virtual
> domains for one).
>
> I'll be leaving the organisation in the near future and I want to make
> sure that the server is as easy to manage as possible. Qmail is a
> nightmare because it can't be updated automatically, you need to
> download Qmail itself then apply all the patches needed to make it useful.
>
> So, I'm planning to migrate to exim because that's well-supported on
> Debian, which is what our server runs.
>
> Our current setup is using Qmail (for SMTP and POP3), vpopmail,
> Courier-IMAP, clamav, spamassassin and SquirrelMail.

I did this a while back migrating qmail/vmailmgr/courier-IMAP to
exim. I wrote a compatibility shim in perl to provide username,
password, alias, autoresponder and quota lookups out of the various
qmail files and vmailmgr's passwd.cdb files since we didn't want
to rewrite the management system as well. Then it was a simple
matter of almost a standard exim configure file.

I can help you out with the functions, routers and transports if
there's some overlap between what you're doing and what I did.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich