Re: [exim] Exim Timeout.. Mail Queue Backed Up.

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Timeout.. Mail Queue Backed Up.
Andrew Rosolino wrote:
> Yeah the problem is I have over 160 websites mass e-mailing their meembers.
> If a website with 50,000 members mass e-mail the first day there will be at
> least 10,000 in the queue by the next morning and then a site with 30,000
> e-mails and it piles on sometimes like that. This one time I feel so behind
> it was at 100,000.

If your websites' members are that hard to send mail to, I personally
would be very worried that the websites are spamming.

You should also be automatically removing members when you
get enough bounces or undeliverables.

However, you could look at whether the mailings are (or could be
made to be) multi-recipient messages rather than one-recipient
per message. Doing that would cut down on your queue size in terms
of number of messages (but won't do anything for how long they
wait on the queue) and can be more efficient in number of bytes
sent (if you have several recipients at a single destination MX).
On order of fifty recipients per message is a reasonable target.

Another thing you could look at is the split-spool-directories
feature in exim; this can help if the filesystem your queue lives
in isn't good with many files in a single directory.

- Jeremy