[exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to expe…

Author: Kevin O'Rourke
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to expect?
When I initially set up our mail server I followed the instructions at
http://www.qmailrocks.org/ and ended up with a system that does
everything we want plus quite a lot of things we don't need (virtual
domains for one).

I'll be leaving the organisation in the near future and I want to make
sure that the server is as easy to manage as possible. Qmail is a
nightmare because it can't be updated automatically, you need to
download Qmail itself then apply all the patches needed to make it useful.

So, I'm planning to migrate to exim because that's well-supported on
Debian, which is what our server runs.

Our current setup is using Qmail (for SMTP and POP3), vpopmail,
Courier-IMAP, clamav, spamassassin and SquirrelMail.

I'm planning to move to exim (for SMTP, dropping POP3), no virtual
domains, Courier-IMAP and SquirrelMail. I'll probably add virus and
spam scanning once the system's working.

Does anyone have any experiences of problems and pitfalls I'm likely to
encounter.

Fortunately, we don't have many users just now, so moving everybody's
mailbox to their home directory and fixing permissions isn't a huge job.

I'll be grateful for any feedback,
Kevin O'Rourke
ICT Coordinator, National Teachers' Institute, Kaduna, Nigeria