Re: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to …

Author: Jeroen van Aart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Simple Qmail to exim migration: what problems to expect?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:16:39PM +0100, Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
> > So, I'm planning to migrate to exim because that's well-supported on
> > Debian, which is what our server runs.

Out of the box, exim4 on debian works fine, with very little
configuration. I would use an external spamfilter like assp, and leave
alone any customization of exim4 with regards to spam. There are various
ways of doing this, check the assp docs.

If you run both exim4 and assp on the same server, have assp listen on
port 25 and exim4 on a non standard port, then tell assp to redirect
filtered email to the exim4 port. If they are on seperate servers it is
not necesary to have different ports. Make sure the mx record(s) point
to the assp server(s) and do not add the exim4 server to the mx record
(or else spammers might easily avoid your spamfilter).

I have found assp to be very effective. Alternatively, if you have a few
$ to spare, outsource your spamfiltering entirely to for example
postini.com.

As a side note, I think I recall mention here about adding a fake domain
as the "last" to your mx records, in order to avoid spammers to abuse
your backup email server. I learned that according to
http://rfc-ignorant.org/policy-bogusmx.php this may be the wrong thing
to do, or am I misreading something? Maybe that site sucks? :-)

Regards,
Jeroen