Re: [exim] spec about hyphens in host names

Author: Jason_Meers
To: Chris Meadors
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] spec about hyphens in host names
Chris Meadors wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 16:18 -0400, Eli Sand wrote:
>
>>> Any reference for hyphens not beeing allowed in host names?
>>>
>> Hyphens (-) are allowed in hostnames, and there isn't even a rule stating
>> how many can be compounded together.
>>

> A host name just can not start or end with a hyphen.

HI all,

A while ago I went through the RFC's to look for ones of particular
interest to postmasters.
This list is by no means exhaustive and by no means complete, but I keep
them on my site so that they can be searched in conjunction with the
official documentation, specs and guides various people have written.
These might be worth a look for anyone interested in host names and misc
DNS behavior in general.

RFC 1912 - Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/view/198/39/

RFC 4343 - Domain Name System (DNS) Case Insensitivity Clarification
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/view/195/39/

RFC 4367 - What's in a Name: False Assumptions about DNS Names
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/view/191/39/

RFC 4697 - Observed DNS Resolution Misbehavior
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/view/192/39/

Feel free to suggest one if it's not listed here:
http://www.exim-new-users.co.uk/content/blogcategory/25/35/

Thanks
Jason_Meers