Re: [exim] SPAM Filtering - Losing the war!

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Odhiambo Washington, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SPAM Filtering - Losing the war!

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>     "Junk mail is war. RFCs do not apply."
>         --Wietse Venema

> Hello!
>
> With the recent upsurge of spam, I am strongly compelled to ask:
>
> Is there anyone on this list who can afford to brag about the
> effectiveness of their spam filtering techniques? (With the
> exception of Marc Perkel ;))

To tell you the truth I'm losing ground lately against spammers. Two
reasons. The Image spam is getting through and because it poisons the
bayes I've lost much of the effectiveness of bayes filtering. I'm still
holding on but I've had people who I hosted for for over a year who
never had a single spam who are now getting a few. I am also having a
few more false positives than I used to.

> That would mean:
>
> 1. You are using Exim and its techniques only
> 2. You show stats that your accuracy is very good...
> 2. You present stats that show negligible false positives...
>
> ...and you are NOT using any of those expensive appliances!
>
> It's becoming evident, day by day, that the war against spam is
> almost a full time job ;)
>
> Perhaps it's time we got exim-sntispam@??? to share ideas on
> fighting spam and the rapidly changing techniques being used by
> spammers. So much time and resources are consumed by spammers that we
> need to declare spam as the "third world war".

I'm thinking about suing Microsoft to get them to release their security
patches to the public.