Re: [exim] conducive.org

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] conducive.org
Renaud Allard wrote:

> Bill,
>
> If you blacklist almost everyone from this list,

Usually only those who 'CC:' everyone they reply to, thereby doubling the traffic.

OK - there are a few more perhaps... But largely for lack of a PTR, use of
dynamic-IP, HELO mis-match to hostname, high spam SA scores - nothing 'personal
about those.

But I have just raised the limit settings on that account.. thanks..

> which are for the most
> part legitimate senders using well configured MTAs,

ACK.. Most of the 'regulars' certainly are, sesame has its own router/transport,
and I 've just seen a need to also whitelist it since it is not filtering spam.

Thanks for that also!

> there is probably
> something wrong in your rules and you will end up just blacklisting the
> world minus your IPs. Don't forget that, for most people, it is worse to
> miss one ham than to receive 10 spams.

Don't forget, these are *per recipient* rules, and the wbh@??? account
needs pretty strict ones in comparison to other users, as it is one of two used
for posting for many years. Long-since harvested by half the planet.

Not to mention being used to *test* the strictest of those rules.

Note several times wherein I have offered to send logs back to folks having
trouble in general (and done so - usually off-list).

Other accounts I use are less draconian, else I would indeed miss a lot.

But - as you point out - needs careful watching, as sesame has been hitting
*zero* RFC, MIME, syntax, etc. points, but a few unusually high spam scores the
past few days.

Thanks again,

Bill