Re: [exim] conducive.org

Author: David Woodhouse
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] conducive.org
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 05:18 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Usually only those who 'CC:' everyone they reply to, thereby doubling
> the traffic.

Which I believe is actually how I ended up in your blacklist too, rather
than sender verification failures.

Opinions are divided on that topic, and I'm firmly in the _other_ camp.
If you're posting a response to something I've said, then I consider it
extremely impolite to drop my address from Cc.

I subscribe to many mailing lists, and I don't pay _that_ much attention
to all of them, all of the time. If I am participating in a thread, I
really do want the responses landing in my inbox where I'll see them,
rather than in a mailing list folder which I don't see for days or weeks
at a time.

Although I happen to be subscribed to the list on which I occasionally
communicate with _you_, I also participate in many other mailing lists
from time to time, without subscribing to each. The problem of list
replies not landing in my inbox is even worse in that situation, because
I don't receive them at _all_.

The failure mode if you fail to Cc me is that you will cut me out of the
conversation -- I may not see your response at all, or not until it's
too late to sensibly respond. On the other hand, the failure mode if you
_do_ Cc someone who didn't really want it is that they see a second copy
of the email. I consider one of those to be more of a 'failure' than the
other.

Obviously it's unrealistic to expect that people will know the desires
of their correspondent and Cc accordingly. A solution like
to be particularly useful. So I default to Ccing you, and I'm afraid I
don't really make any apology for it.

--
dwmw2