Re: [exim] conducive.org

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] conducive.org
SeattleServer.com wrote:

> Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but why is it that how Bill's MTA
> happens to be configured is of concern to this list, let alone the huge
> thread of uselessness that this entire thread is?

While I agree that this thread has _long_ since outlived its usefulness,
Bill does have a repeated habit of configuring his server in some very
irregular, and sometimes standard stretching (some might say
non-conforming) ways, and then recommending those configurations to
newbies on this list without noting the differences from exim's usual
behaviour, and their consequences.

> I find it a bit ironic to see a huge discussion of problems with somebody's
> personal MTA when that same somebody objected so to my small handful of
> E-mails discussing a potential feature that is of interest to everyone.

The objection was not to the length of the thread, in that case. It was
the specific repeated demand for a new feature. Once the feature request
is acknowledged and on the wish-list, it's rude to continue requesting
that open source developers spend their free time working on it unless
you're willing to either code it yourself or fund its implementation.

- Marc