Re: [exim] conducive.org

Author: David Woodhouse
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] conducive.org
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 19:56 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Correct. I sent you a who-struck-John note on that off-list, but it dd not get
> through. Logs showed greylisting.

It got through, and I'll never greylist mail from that IP address again.
It's a host which is now known to queue and retry, so there would be no
point. Since it was a private mail I elected not to quote it here.

> I see the merit in each, and don't have a strong 'opinion' either way.
> The two problesm it creates for me are storage-waste over time and the inability
> to distinguish between off-list and on-list incoming *unless* the 'Subject:'
> header has '[exim]' removed, at which point it will both be obvious and in
> diferent folders.

Subscribing to mailing lists alone provides just such a 'storage-waste
over time'. I would suggest that the amount of extra storage used for
the threads you yourself have participated in and been Cc'd on is not
really significant.

When someone replies to you and Cc's the list, that mail is _both_
off-list and on-list. And as such it would get filtered into both my
inbox and my list folder, each arrival according to its reverse-path. I
never did understand why anyone would want to use any other method, but
people are weird.

--
dwmw2