Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
Jason Meers wrote:
> Why is this list so abusive?
>
> <rant> People post to this list because they need help and advice.
> They are not lazy or selfish, just lost.
>
> A swift "RTFM" slap across the face has become almost the standard
> reply to anyone who knows less than you, this is exim-users not
> exim-arrogance or exim-immortals.

I just re-read all of my postings to the exim-users list for 2006. In
92 messages, I used the phrase RTFM exactly twice. The most recent such
message was yesterday to Marc Perkel, quite possibly the message that
sparked Jason's rant:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20060417/msg00169.html

> How many of you who have previously posted an RTFM reply have NEVER
> asked the list for help or advice on a topic that was covered by the
> manual? Please stand up and make yourself known, it's easy for us to
> check.

The only other time I said "RTFM" on this list this year was,
ironically, to myself:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20060109/msg00027.html

I'll certainly sleep well tonight.

- Marc