[exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Jason Meers
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
Why is this list so abusive?

<rant>
People post to this list because they need help and advice.
They are not lazy or selfish, just lost.

A swift "RTFM" slap across the face has become almost the standard reply
to anyone who knows less than you, this is exim-users not exim-arrogance
or exim-immortals.

Is it so hard to believe that someone can *try* to understand Exim and
*try* to understand the specs and still need help.

The documentation for Exim is fantastic, absolutely NO DOUBT about that,
but how many of you can take in every part of the 452 page specification
and understand every part of it.

If Exim was a such a "no-brainer" this list wouldn't exist and nobody
would need to be subscribed.

How many of you who have previously posted an RTFM reply have NEVER
asked the list for help or advice on a topic that was covered by the
manual? Please stand up and make yourself known, it's easy for us to check.

Before any of you tell me RTFM means "fine" manual check the archives it
is typed out in full in some of the 200+ threads that contain the phrase
*at least once* in the last 3-4 years.

I am having to defend my right to use open source software at work
because a well known worldwide consultancy has highlighted to my
management that the "support" and "community" I am so fond of are
sometimes more abusive than supportive (this list was mentioned). Hence
using open source presents too much of a risk to the business and should
be replaced ASAP.

This attitude is self-harming.

Exim is a fantastic product and the level of knowledge you guys hold on
it is second to none, but we are all responsible adults, we don't have
to humiliate people who are not as knowledgeable as us.

If someone doesn't know what it is they are looking for, how do they
know which part of the manual to read without asking the list?

If someone asks a stupid question you can choose to:
A) Answer it
B) Ignore it
You don't *have* to be abusive

If your child had been humiliated at school for asking a teacher a
question that had already been covered in a text book you wouldn't
accept it, why here?
</rant>

Jason Meers
(someone who has read the book and the spec several times and still
needs help from time to time)