Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
On 24/04/06, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@???> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 16:47 +0100, Jason Meers wrote:

<snip>

> In another mail, you also write:
> > if you look back over the last 4 years, 232 threads contained
> > the phrase RTFM, the number of individual posts within these 232
> > threads will put the RTFM figure much higher.
>
> It's harder to count this, I know -- but how many of these take form (a)
> and how many take form (c). There's a difference.

There's a huge difference. I answer a great many questions with
something like 'you need a redirect router' and a link to the
appropriate page in the manual.

I'm of the opinion that this is helpful. Perhaps not quite as helpful
as crafting a detailed solution (although that's arguable along the
'teach a man to fish' line), but I really do think that pointing
someone to the bit of documentation where their question is answered,
along with the next few questions they're bound to have when they've
learnt some more, has to be valuable.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer