Re: [exim] Multiple Log Files - Feature Request

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alun
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Multiple Log Files - Feature Request
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Alun wrote:

> As I say, I only took a quick glance... It looked like open_log is
> (at present) only called once per instance of exim, as it then caches
> the file descriptor.

Roughly speaking, yes.

> If log_write just checked for a flag indicating that log_file_path
> needed expansion, and only closed the file after writing if that flag
> was set, most people would only see a single extra integer comparison
> per log line. People needing string expansion would take more load,
> but then they're asking for the system to do rather more work, so they
> should expect what they ask for :-)

They might expect it to be more efficient than that. Consider a message
with several recipients, and logging on a "per outgoing interface"
basis. It might switch back and forth between several log files in a
most inefficient way.

I haven't thought about it, but there's also a potential problem with
multiple processes that are running under different uids.