Re: [exim] Multiple Log Files - Feature Request

Author: Alun
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Multiple Log Files - Feature Request
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> said, in message
Pine.SOC.4.61.0509300942210.28278@???:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Alun wrote:
>
> > But... quickly looking at the source code, I can't see why this
> > isn't easily done. Admittedly I've not gone into it in detail, but
> > couldn't the "open_log" function do the string expansions on
> > log_file_path every time it's called and the "log_write" function
> > always close the file afterwards if there's a dollar sign in
> > log_file_path?
>
> That sounds to be to highly inefficient, and likely to cause grumbles
> about performance degradation.

As I say, I only took a quick glance... It looked like open_log is
(at present) only called once per instance of exim, as it then caches
the file descriptor. If log_write just checked for a flag indicating
that log_file_path needed expansion, and only closed the file after
writing if that flag was set, most people would only see a single extra
integer comparison per log line. People needing string expansion
would take more load, but then they're asking for the system to do
rather more work, so they should expect what they ask for :-)

Cheers,
Alun.

--
Alun Jones                       auj@???
Systems Support,                 (01970) 62 2494