Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 08:46:33AM -0500, John Jetmore wrote:
> I would point out that the only reason 'G' is the current "default" is
> because it's included in the default configuration. The world could
> clearly be saved from the perceived evil of 'G' by adding a new option and
> using it in the default configure file. I don't particularly think this
> is a good idea, but it does demonstrate that the default behaviour of
> retry can be changed without messing with a bunch of current installs.

Philip added 'H' -RC2 and although I think keeping 'G' with its old
behaviour is just bloat, no matter how small, it is fine with me.

So, how about changing 'G' to 'H' in src/configure.default? I am serious
about this. All it needs is Exim spreading even more with many people
using the default configuration and cron restarting Exim at midnight, and
big sites will feel pretty bad should they ever go down and come back up,
as many small sites will attack them with synchronised traffic bursts.
A word of warning concerning 'F' and 'G' in the documentation is in
order, too.

That's the typical chain of requirements everybody is sure of that they
won't happen all together, and yet sometimes they do.

Michael