Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate
Philip Hazel wrote:
> I *am* surprised how widespread it is, but I'm sure its market share
> is actually quite small.

Yes, never underestimate the number of broken Exchange servers out there.

>> If anything, I would introduce a new option that contains the old
>> behaviour for those few who urgently want it, and only do so when
>> somebody speaks up.
>
> I am not prepared to do that, partly because I don't see huge numbers
> of people jumping into this thread on either side. Does anybody else
> have views on this?

I don't understand all the discussion about default behaviour and such,
as it's quite easy to introduce 'R' for "randomized increasing
intervals", and thus not change anything for existing users, plus giving
the possibility to set 'R' as the "default" by using it in the example
config file, and thelike. No?
I wouldn't recommend to just replace the geometric function by a
randmized one, (with or without a config option to turn "randomized"
off) for the reasons Phil explained. Somebody *will* wonder, ask and
maybe complain. Just for sake of wondering, asking and complaining, if
there's not more on it.

lg,
daniel