Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] 4.53 Release candidate
> I fully understand that, and I see *your* need for the facility and I'm
> prepared to put it in. Just not as the default.

The default would make the world a better place if Exim suddenly took
over. Aren't you surprised how widespread it already is? :-)

> > Are you willing to bet that somebody would still like to get the old
> > behaviour back?
>
> I am not a betting person, but I would not be surprised if there wasn't
> somebody who wanted predictability. In fact, *I* do, for testing. :-)

From host.c, random_number():

if (running_in_test_harness) random_seed = 42;

Sounds very predictable for testing to me.

If anything, I would introduce a new option that contains the old
behaviour for those few who urgently want it, and only do so when
somebody speaks up.

Michael