Re: [exim] Heads up?

Author: Marc Sherman
To: John Palmer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Heads up?
John Palmer wrote:

> According to my EXIM logs, very few (in fact its rare) that the e-mail
> is actually accepted by the recipient's MTA. Its spammers creating random
> addresses that are not valid. When I say 90-95%, I mean "a large number,
> almost
> all", not that I counted them and am giving you an exact number.

It seems to me that sender callouts would solve that problem in a much
less antisocial manner. (Note that even sender callouts aren't entirely
antisocial -- opinions are mixed on that.)

> As far as I'm concerned, I and my users have a right to control who
> has access to their inbox and they can challenge anyone who wants to
> dump something into it.

Well, then I guess you won't object to me running this system filter:

# Exim filter
#
# Untested: do not put this into production without testing first!
#
# Automatically deal with TDMA challenges.
if $h_X-Delivery-Agent: matches "^TMDA/[0-9.]+\$" then
     seen mail to "$h_Reply-To:"
          cc "$h_From:"
          subject "Automatic TDMA response (was Re: $h_Subject:)"
          text "\
This message was sent automatically in response to a TDMA challenge\n\
sent from your account.  If you are a legitimate correspondent of\n\
mine, I urge you to reconsider your use of this software - it is\n\
part of the spam problem, not the solution.  If, on the other hand,\n\
you sent the TDMA challenge in response to a joe job which forged\n\
an address on this server, please filter your spam for yourself; I\n\
will not waste my own time assisting you."
endif

- Marc