Re: [exim] Heads up?

Author: John Palmer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Heads up?

> John Palmer wrote:
> > No, my MTA is *ATTEMPTING* to send 500 challenges a day, 90-95% of which
> > NEVER leave my
> > system because the return address on the spam is bogus! It never goes
> > anywhere - GOT THAT?
> > I said this all ready and for people who seem to know e-mail systems,

you
> > don't seem to bright
> > on that topic.
>
> So what you're saying is that 25-50 challenges are delivered to an
> actual mailbox each day. How many of those challenges are completed by
> the recipients? I'm pretty confident that it's some number less than
> 25-50. The difference between those two numbers is the amount of
> collateral spam you send out each day, to the victims of joe jobs. And
> the actual content of those challenges you're sending to those innocent
> third parties is really quite offensive, John.
>
> TDMA is not part of the solution -- it's part of the problem.
>
> - Marc

According to my EXIM logs, very few (in fact its rare) that the e-mail
is actually accepted by the recipient's MTA. Its spammers creating random
addresses that are not valid. When I say 90-95%, I mean "a large number,
almost
all", not that I counted them and am giving you an exact number.

As far as I'm concerned, I and my users have a right to control who
has access to their inbox and they can challenge anyone who wants to
dump something into it.

As far as I am concerned, the SPAM problem is solved.