Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication
On 14 Mar 2005 at 7:01, Ian Firla wrote about
    "Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication":

| On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:33:30 -0800, John W. Baxter <jwblist@???> wrote:
| > On 3/13/2005 15:56, "Ian Firla" <ian.firla@???> wrote:

| > Is 213.156.52.112 mentioned in the main configuration section
| > auth_advertise_hosts setting (default is empty...no advertising).

Actually, the default is '*' (advertise to all hosts)

| I may be missing the boat here but why would I need to put the client
| IP into the config when the point of authentication is to allow
| dynamic ip users and roaming clients to use the host for smtp by
| authenticating their priviliges?

Being able to control who you advertise authentication to is a
feature, not a requirement.

Since you are not advertising AUTH in your EHLO response, either you
are (unintentionally) restricting AUTH by setting
auth_advertise_hosts to something other than '*', or you have not
defined any authenticators (RTFM chapter 33).

- Fred