Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication

Author: Ian Firla
To: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:33:30 -0800, John W. Baxter <jwblist@???> wrote:
> On 3/13/2005 15:56, "Ian Firla" <ian.firla@???> wrote:
>
> > I've been fighting with an Exim 4.4 configuration today. It's running
> > on Debian Sarge.
> >
> > I imported and converted my old Exim 3 configuration file and after a
> > bit of tweaking, I got exim starting without any warnings; however,
> > smtp authentication is still not working. Not having any errors to go
> > by, I don't really know where to begin.
> >
> > Telneting to the server a feeding it an ehlo gives me:
> >
> > 250-l41 Hello 213-156-52-112.fastres.net [213.156.52.112]
> > 250-SIZE 52428800
> > 250-8BITMIME
> > 250-PIPELINING
> > 250-STARTTLS
> > 250 HELP
>
> Is 213.156.52.112 mentioned in the main configuration section
> auth_advertise_hosts
> setting (default is empty...no advertising). The setting is expanded, which
> you may need (we do).

I may be missing the boat here but why would I need to put the client
IP into the config when the point of authentication is to allow
dynamic ip users and roaming clients to use the host for smtp by
authenticating their priviliges?

Thanks for the tip about the debian specific list. I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Ian