Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim 4.4 authentication
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:56:32 +0100, Ian Firla <ian.firla@???>
wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've been fighting with an Exim 4.4 configuration today. It's running
>on Debian Sarge.
>
>I imported and converted my old Exim 3 configuration file and after a
>bit of tweaking, I got exim starting without any warnings; however,
>smtp authentication is still not working. Not having any errors to go
>by, I don't really know where to begin.

For the Debian packages, a possible starting point is
/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz. One of the points you'll
find there is that the Debian maintainers discourage converting an
exim3 configuration, but instead using the Debconf stuff that the
exim4 packages come with.

How badly customized was your exim3 config? Was ist fully custom, or
basically created by Debian's eximconfig script?

>250-l41 Hello 213-156-52-112.fastres.net [213.156.52.112]
>250-SIZE 52428800
>250-8BITMIME
>250-PIPELINING
>250-STARTTLS
>250 HELP
>
>I was expecting a 250-AUTH line there.

250-AUTH is only advertised when the incoming host name or ip address
is in the list given in the main configuration option
auth_advertise_hosts. Did convert4r4 generate that option, and what
value does it have?

>I'm not very familiar with Exim 4.

So you should familiarize yourself with Exim 4.

>don't think it's appropriate for me to post my entire exim4.conf here

How about putting it on a web page or on one of the numerous nopaste
web services?

>but I have read the example configuration files and tried to use those
>as a model.

How about using the Debconf-based stuff?

Greetings
Marc