Re: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> You also need to take your email address off the web.

Waste of effort for most of us. Our addresses will be on
past-published documents, professional membership lists, etc. etc.
You'd drive yourself demented trying to get rid of them all, and you'd
drive yourself -and- your correspondents demented if you kept changing
your address to try to hide from the spammers.

> Google shows 25 hits for it.

And I'd surmise at least one of them is not under the control of the
hon. member. It only takes just one.

> That's where the spammers get your address. Simple encoding or
> disguising of the address helps.

It might, for some minority who are in a rather special situation.
But professionally it's just not feasible.

> > Unfortunetly, SpamAssassin doesn't work good enough for me, I'm
> > able to filter not more than 70% of SPAM. I recieve about 30 SPAM
> > messages daily for one mailbox.

I've got accustomed to my email address serving as a spamtrap.
Seeing that we all act as postmasters here - right? - we can raise the
probability that anyone who spams us won't spam us again - nor any of
our users.

There's no single right answer, though. If everyone ran the same
anti-spam profile, the spammers would easily defeat it. It needs
variegated counter-measures. Which means, sadly, that one has to put
a bit of extra effort into it. But IMHO that is more productive (and
scales much better to one's users) than desperately trying to keep
one's email address "ex-directory", and leaving one's users to the
mercy of the same mechanisms.

best regards