RE: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration

Author: Jan-Peter Koopmann
To: Alexander Prohorenko, Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration

> What can you advise, except spending hours daily filtering mail from
> SPAM manually?
>
> Unfortunetly, SpamAssassin doesn't work good enough for me,
> I'm able to filter not more than 70% of SPAM. I recieve
> about 30 SPAM messages daily for one mailbox.

I assume you run your SpamAssassin "out-of-the-box"? Try tuning it with additional rulesets. Use bayes and train your database. I never heard of a SpamAssassin installation only catching 70% spam if setup correctly. Moreover tune your exim to starve SMTP connections a bit if they look like spam (e.g. if certain RBLs are triggered, HELO checks fail etc.). Many spammers will simply try to push the entire message to you and will not care for sychnronization of commands in which case you can drop the connection.

I agree with Tony though that TMDA is dreadful. Have a look into greylisting as well. I would not recommend greylisting to business users but it sure is great for personal use. Moreover: Look into dspam. Never used it myself but you never know... :-)

Regards,
JP