Re: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Anti SPAM Exim configuration
On 13 Dec 2004, Alexander Prohorenko wrote:

Please don't top-post, and quote properly. Read this:

Thanks.

> What can you advise, except spending hours daily filtering mail from
> SPAM manually?
> Unfortunetly, SpamAssassin doesn't work good enough for me,

Investigate whether there are additional measures you can take.
SpamAssassin on its own is not the best or only way of filtering spam. I
deal with some heavily-spammed accounts and have, with some work, all but
eliminated spam/malware using Exim's powerful features in conjunction with
SpamAssassin and ClamAV.

There are a lot of tips here:

http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/

Some things in particular you may or may not want to consider if you're
not already doing them:

- block mail from dialups (something I was always reluctant to do, but am
doing more and more these days simply because trojan-spam appears to be
the leading source of spam now.)

- HELO checks of various kinds to pick out obvious spam (see HOWTO above,
although be careful)

- make sure Bayesian learning is enabled and working on SpamAssassin

- consider using "add on" SpamAssassin rulesets - there are many available
and some are very effective at expanding SpamAssassin's scope and ability
to identify spam

- write your own SpamAssassin rules. A few custom local rules tailored to
the spam you are getting can work wonders, and also makes it harder for
spammers to evade filters due to the varying targets.

- eliminate "catch all" addresses

The solution to spam is not to generate more spam.

Tim