Re: [Exim] relay by IP

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] relay by IP
On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:07:19AM -0500, Michael Johnson wrote:
> I have a machine running Exim 4.30 over a T1.

[...]
> I have a machine at a remote location running through a cable modem. I
> want to put exim on that machine, and since it's not a business
> connection, it'll likely be blacklisted by a lot of ISPs. I want to
> have everyone in the remote location use the machine there to send
> mail, and have that machine go through my machine at my location.
> So...

> The remote machine will handle all the mail for the location, forward
> it directly to my machine here. The machine here will accept the mail
> and move it on to the final destination.

[...]

That is a straightforward vanilla setup. Start with the default
configuration file and replace the "dnslookup" router on cable-modem
with something  like this to forward all non-local mail to T1 (copied
from exim FAQ A0305)
internet:
     driver = manualroute
     domains = !+local_domains
     transport = remote_smtp
     route_list = * T1.host.name

instead of the "dnslookup" router in

And on T1.host.name add cable-modem's IP-address to the
relay_from_hosts list.

The cable-modem's IP-address changes setup SMTP AUTH instead as
described in spec.txt.
             cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"