Re: [Exim] relay by IP

Author: Brian Dessent
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] relay by IP
Blaine Simpson wrote:

> I can't tell whether you know it or not, but "business connection" or not
> doesn't matter, as long as your DNS records, forward and reverse, are set
> up right...

It certainly matters. If it's a non-business connection and/or dynamic
IP address then it's likely listed in many blacklists that admins use to
refuse spam from home machines. And that's exactly what he said: "and
since it's not a business connection, it'll likely be blacklisted by a
lot of ISPs."

Any mail servers using those lists will refuse to accept mail from him.
AOL is one example of somewhere you can't send email to from a
dynamic/home IP address. You're supposed to relay through your ISP's
smarthost, so the theory goes.

Brian