Re: [Exim] I'm missing something! I must be....

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Walt Reed
CC: Enkidu, exim-users
New-Topics: exim 4 in Debian/GNU Linux (was: [Exim] I'm missing something! I must be....)
Subject: Re: [Exim] I'm missing something! I must be....
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Walt Reed wrote:

> > It may be, but that is the version in Debian Sarge or Testing. I don't
> > know what is in stable, but Exim 4 doesn't appear until the "unstable"
> > release of Debian.
>
> Yeah, it's really annoying that the maintainers are using such outdated
> code. Exim3 is still the default in unstable as well.

Debian are of course perfectly entitled to maintain their very
conservative upgrading policy. I can understand the motives behind it. I
was not meaning to complain on that score, though it is, of course,
unfortunate.

However, I feel it is important that newcomers to this list realize that
that they are using software that the majority of "gurus" here are no
longer familiar with. Otherwise they might get the wrong impression
about the helpfulness of the community that lives here. That is why I
always point this out in the increasingly rarer occasions when I do
answer an Exim 3 question. (I also now have a "stock" message that I can
send to people when nobody answers an Exim 3 question that I might
formerly have answered.)