Re: [Exim] New mailhub/virus/spamassassin installation.

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] New mailhub/virus/spamassassin installation.
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Tom Kistner wrote:

> And finally, you should really reject malware at SMTP time, at the very
> border of your system. Sending bounces is almost useless,

I'd say that, once a mail admin has been advised that a virus uses
counterfeited sender addresses, it could be rated an offence under UK
computer misuse legislation for the mail admin to continue to compose
and attempt to transmit a bounce to the victims. Especially if the
mail admin was including a copy of the offending content!

> since most
> sender addresses are randomly chosen from victims address books. :)

Exactly.

I've been trying (with some success) to catch such misguided reports
in the mailer, and prevent them reaching innocent victims on our
systems. Some of the mail admins I've attempted to rebuke for these
misguided reports have conceded that I have a point - others however
have reacted with obscene abuse, so that makes two criminal offences
if we ever catch them visiting the UK... (yeah, I'm realistic enough
to concede that the evidence would never stick).