Re: [Exim] I'm missing something! I must be....

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] I'm missing something! I must be....
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:21:22PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Walt Reed wrote:
> > hurt yourself. It also wouldn't hurt to whine on the debian lists about
> > shipping such an outdated package.

> Yes, it would hurt, actually. The debian Exim 4 maintainers know that exim
> 3 is outdated, but it's not exactly an overnight operation to coordinate the
> upgrading of thousands of systems, changing the default mailer for an
> operating system.

Just to clarify things: Having Exim4 as default MTA would not imply
that all exim3 installations would be upgraded, we will just use
exim4 as default for new installations, exim3 will stay around.

> The intention is for Sarge to release with Exim 4 as the
> default, AFAICT. It's either that or Postfix.

The third alternative which was suggested was using some stripped down
mini-MTA like nullmailer or esmtp instead of a full fledged MTA like
exim.

> Either way, pestering people on debian-devel, -project, -release, or other
> lists will do nothing except annoy people. All the issues have been done to
> death, please do NOT bring them up again unless you have new suggestions
> (and you can't know their new until you've read the archives for all the
> previous discussions - see you in a week or two).

ACK. Reading the thread "default MTA for sarge" on -devel, starting
in July with <20030713083151.GA12971@???> should bring
you up to date with the current state of discussion.
               cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"