exim 4 in Debian/GNU Linux (was: [Exim] I'm missing somethin…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: exim 4 in Debian/GNU Linux (was: [Exim] I'm missing something! I must be....)
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:08:35 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>However, I feel it is important that newcomers to this list realize that
>that they are using software that the majority of "gurus" here are no
>longer familiar with.

The Debian exim 4 package is also using a quite uncommon, but elegant,
method of configuration where the "real" exim config file is assembled
together from a tree of config snippets by a script invoked just
before the daemon is started.

This fits very well into the Debian system of configuration file
management and is a great ease for the automatic configuration with
Debconf.

However, it is _very_ different from the normal way exim 4 is
configured. I regret to see that our packaging will be cause of grief
on this mailing list. It will probably be best to add an extra text to
the exim FAQ saying that exim-users will probably have difficulties in
answering questions if /etc/exim4/conf.d is used on the system causing
the question.

Greetings
Marc