Re: [Exim] Virtual Users / Authorization / Domains

Author: Harald Meland
To: ericn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Virtual Users / Authorization / Domains
[ericn@???]

> I have three rather pressing questions about exim.
>
> 1) How would I create a virtual mailbox - one for a person who
>    doesnt have a user account on my system?

Exim can deliver mail to such mailboxes in any number of ways, but the
owner of the mailbox then needs to access some other piece of software
to retrieve this mail. Thus, Exim should deliver mail to virtual
mailboxes in whatever fashion that best fits the "email retrieval"
system.

> 2) My copy of exim is responsible for e-mail going to multiple
>    domains.  How can I tell exim which domains users belong to so
>    ericn@??? will work but ericn@??? will return unknown
>    mailbox?

One way to do this would be to create a directory structure like this:

/etc/mail/virtual/foo.com/aliases
/etc/mail/virtual/bar.com/aliases

and then use the $domain Exim expansion variable in the specification
of which alias file $local_part should be looked up in.

I think C022 in the Exim config samples bundle, available from
http://www.no.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/FAQ.html, does
something similar to what you want.

> 3) In order to be able to send e-mail to other domains, people need
>    to be able to authorize themselves by e-mail address or SMTP
>    authorization.  Access by IP is just not an option in this case.
>    How can I create an access list/database of accounts that exim
>    can read from and process using an authenticator, ACL, or
>    whatever?

I would strongly encourage you to use an authenticator (and not merely
and ACL) for this, due to the combination of "no access restriction by
IP" and spammers forging sender addresses...

> Ive been trying to get a working setup that meets these requirements
> for more than a month now and Ive tried sendmail, qmail, and now Im
> trying exim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't browsed Exim's excellent documentation yet, I would
recommend doing so. Also, there are quite a number of entries on
authentication in the FAQ.
--
Harald