Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?

Author: David
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:59:06PM +0200, Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> Yet, there's one thing that puzzled me on the recent help:
> one of the users defenetly and seriously insisted using
> exim on a mashine not permanently connected to the
> internet would be overkill.

I believe I was the one who used the term "overkill".. I _do_ use exim
on a dialup connection myself.. I just meant that one might get by with
less..

Some of the posters seem to claim that you _CANNOT_ use exim on an
intermittent connection. I believe they are talking in terms of using
it as an independent server itself.

> Can I take that for granted since I _want_ to use mutt and therefor
> need a MTA to at least send the mail out?

You'll probably need _some_ MTA installed if for nothing else but to
satisfy dependencies of other packages.. for daemons to send you mail,
etc..

A respondent to this mail mentions manually sending pending messages on
connect.. If you send a mail VIA exim from mutt, or any other MUA, I'm
sure, if there is no connection, the message is queued by exim.. If you
will look in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d, you should see a file called exim, which
executes the command "exim -qf", which flushes out the queue, and sends
any pending messages automatically on connect.