[Exim] Re: exim capable of sorting incoming mail?

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: Tamas TEVESZ
CC: Robert Wilhelm Land, exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: exim capable of sorting incoming mail?
+++ Tamas TEVESZ [15/10/02 19:16 +0200]:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> > Can I take that for granted since I _want_ to use mutt and therefor
> > need a MTA to at least send the mail out?
>
> no. as far as i know, mutt can talk smtp all by itself.

Mutt is just a mailreader, period. It needs an external MTA (like exim) or a
barebones smtp client app like sSMTP, MasqMail or Nullmailer in order to send
out mail.

> however, i'm not quite sure mutt can do queueing. which you will miss
> badly, if you are not permanently connected (i assume you don't just
> want to hand-send your postponed messages every time you connect...)

Yep - I prefer to use Exim / Sendmail / Postfix (or some people could try
qmail with serialmail, if they like), set up to queue mail when offline and
then hand it off to a smarthost when connected.

http://www.hserus.net/pop_smtp.html for a set of howtos (part of my dialup
howto at http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html - which covers a few other
things apart from MTA configs)

    --srs