RE: [Exim] Clarification on Exim functions

Autor: Jeff AA
A: 'Dan Egli', exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Clarification on Exim functions

Glen answered your specific questions.

My 0.02p is that Exim is the default MTA for the debian dist - IMHO this
is a major recommendation.

When we switched to Debian two years ago, from a mixture of RH / SuSE,
we had to decide whether to use Exim or continue to use Postfix and
Sendmail MTAs. We decided that in light of the other quality Debian
decisions, that we would go with the flow.

We have been much happier with Exim than Postfix. [don't mention
Sendmail]

A recent reorg to support only SSL secured SMTP with PLAIN and LOGIN
authenticators, and to move to virtual domains, with all the dynamic
lookups in MySQL (including authentication, aliases, virtual user
filters, vacation messages, automatic server-side delivery to SENT
folders etc.] was simple [so much so that we are still a little stunned
with the lack of issues!]. Cutting a little PHP gui to let virtual users
manage their own mail prefs, aliases, filtering and vacation messages
becomes straightforward. Users can easily do things like filter incoming
mail into maildir sub-folders, manage the aliases for their domains etc
etc. All this was easy peasy lemon squeesy due to the configuration
flexibility and good solid design of the Exim product. [Spam and Virus
scanning come next...]

The Debian packaging made the build and installation simple - there is
no Exim-mysql-tls package, but it only requires three minor config
changes to the debian source package, to generate your own .deb

Our Postfix experience is now two years out of date - you should ask on
the Postfix lists for glowing references

Exim is a FAB product, easy to maintain, fast, reliable, well
documented, well designed and with excellent support, we ain't going
back, [even if O'Reilly won't print the book!]

Regards
Jeff