Re: [Exim] Clarification on Exim functions

Autor: Matthijs van Duin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Clarification on Exim functions
On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:58:07AM +0100, Jeff AA wrote:
> We have been much happier with Exim than Postfix. [don't mention
> Sendmail]

I should perhaps also throw in my 2 eurocents

OSX includes a disfunctional installation of sendmail by default (I'm not sure whether Apple even knows it's there.. it's certainly not supported)

I've tried to get it working for a while, and I'm still struggling to suppress the memories of that experience ;)    I also once tried to install either postfix or qmail (I'm not sure which one.. I think it was qmail) and I didn't succeed there either.

Recently I installed OSX 10.2 and I decided to give it one more try. First I fiddled a bit again with sendmail, but I soon heard about Exim and decided to try it instead.

Although initially I ran into some compile issues (due to differences between OSX 10.1 and 10.2 most likely), I was able to fix them easily. After installing it, I tried to send an email before even *looking* at the configuration file, just for fun...

and it worked

After that I did ofcourse have to twiddle some settings to make it work exactly the way I wanted it to, but I've found configuring Exim to be a fairly painless experience.

Altogether, Exim was a pleasant surprise. Keep up the good work! :)

- Matthijs

--
Matthijs van Duin -- May the Forth be with you!