Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Andromeda
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Exim
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests
At 17:51 23/04/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>I have been served a take down notice for the exim-users archives due to
>some idiot deciding he wants his postings edited out of the archive.
>
>This is under the UK and EU Data Protection Act. I personally don't
>think its legal, but to fight it I need to indemnify Energis against any
>loss they may suffer.

Having just spoken to a lawyer friend about this, you don't have a choice
but to, Nigel. Sadly, I have to concur with Chris Bayliss, especially where
the lack of test cases is concerned. And the fact that the proceedings that
follow are CRIMINAL, not CIVIL, makes it so much more an issue.

If you can find one of those freedom-of-expression organisations who are
willing to fight this whole drama for you to press the case, so much the
better. In the meanwhile, I would suggest that:

a) You start editing (or write a script that does)
b) You amend the membership rules (get a good lawyer who can help you find
a way around the mess that is the DPA) to make sure people know they are
NOT covered by the DPA in that manner

It's really sad...

Andromeda